Modeled on the national evidence-based program 21st Century Community Learning Centers, the Notre Dame Urban Education Center provides a safe nurturing environment in which children are assisted through one-on-one tutoring to meet state and local student standards in core academic subjects. Volunteer tutors work with each child providing homework assistance, reading support, and educational skill building activities.
The goal of the program is to give each child the personal experience of academic success while also enhancing their self-esteem and helping them to develop the confidence and motivation to learn.
NDUEC offers programming after school from 3:00 to 6:00 pm Monday through Thursday each week during the school year and for four weeks over the summer from 9:00 am to Noon, four days a week.
- Homework Assistance
- Math Drills
- Reading Support
- Educational Skill Building Activities
- Individual Tutoring 1 Hour per Day per Child
- Mutually Beneficial Mentoring Relationships
- Library Skills
- Computer Technology Skills
- Nutritious Snacks Provided Daily
Arts and Cultural Enrichment
- Fine Arts and Crafts
- Music – Guitar and Keyboard Lessons
- Collaborative Programming with The Carnegie and the Taft Museum of Art
- Child-Sized Fitness Equipment
- Indoor Basketball
- Wii Sports and Games
- Team Building Activities
- Creative Play